Monday, March 2, 2009

Vital US #2 +7" [1993, My Scan]



Vital US #2 magazine, an anthology of features from Vital 11 through 20, which features interviews with Yeast Culture, Con-Dom, Doc Wör Mirran, G. Whitehead, THU20, Contrastate, Etant Donnes, Asmus Tietchens, Das Synthetische Mischgewebe, and Chop; plus labelspots on Minus Habens Records, Generations Unlimited, Cthulhu Records, Silent Records, Lovely Music, Edition RZ, Het Apollohuis, Sounds For Consciousness Rape, empreintes DIGITALes, BV Haast; and two articles by Ios Smolders.

The 7" contains two collages created from pieces submitted by the artists who were featured in Vital 1 through 20. Asmus Tietchens , Chop Shop (3) , Con-Dom , Contrastate , Das Synthetische Mischgewebe , Doc Wör Mirran , Due Process , Gregory Whitehead , Merzbow , P16.D4 , Schimpfluch-Gruppe , THU20 , Yeast Culture , and blackhumour. The four editors of Vital [Peter Duimelinks, Ios Smolders, Frans de Waard, Anton Viergever] each made pieces from these materials, but only the pieces by Peter Duimelinks were used in the end.

"After listening over and over again to the sounds of the artists
presented in Vital magazine, I found it difficult to choose and select
some specific sounds I liked. In fact many of the sounds we received
could serve as a basis upon which other sounds could be distributed
more precisely. So what would happen if I would use ill the sounds?
With this idea in mind I started to record "All or Nothing". Since I
wanted to use the maximum amount of time for a 7inch (5 min) I had
to repeat pieces of sounds from which I only had for instance 30
seconds, until I had the full 5 minutes. From other sounds I could only
use a part since they were much too long, as much as 30 to 60 minutes.
During the recordings, some interesting things happened. Some
sounds would disappear in the recording process, but reappeared after I
recorded some new layers. After I finished this part, I wasn't fully
satisfied with the result. I pitched up the speed and rerecorded this
over the initial track."
-Peter Duimelinks

Discogs

Here

5 comments:

  1. hey man, that's great. i hope you included the 7" too (will download this afternoon). Vital still exists, but only as an e-mail/website thing. It can be found here: http://www.vitalweekly.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, i've been subscribed since 635.
    Maybe you could help me out with the play speeds for the 7". I ripped side 1 at 33rpm because the notes say the piece is supposed to be 5mins long, but side 2 sounded slowed down @33 so i ripped it at 45 speed. Is this correct?

    ReplyDelete
  3. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!
    I get Vital Weekly through email and read it religiously. It is an excellent source of NEW MUSCIK!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very good!!! Hey, I think that you would be interested in my own music/noise projects.

    Chek and listen: http://larperu.blogspot.com/Antonio

    ReplyDelete